Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 29-11-2011 , 08:58 PM
I agree with the whole idea of taking your time. I would dedicate a month to certain things in the pipeline. Whether it be UVing, texturing, rigging, or even just simple fire and smoke creation. The last thing I am tackling is modeling. At this point I understand quite a bit but tend to forget things very easily. Just wish my peasize brain could hold it all perfectly for me to call upon that tiny button I need to remember to click.

# 77 29-11-2011 , 09:27 PM
Noober than noob

I agree with the whole idea of taking your time. I would dedicate a month to certain things in the pipeline. Whether it be UVing, texturing, rigging, or even just simple fire and smoke creation. The last thing I am tackling is modeling. At this point I understand quite a bit but tend to forget things very easily. Just wish my peasize brain could hold it all perfectly for me to call upon that tiny button I need to remember to click.

Well I don't dedicate the whole time to it, maybe the UV-ing will take longer to learn though, so far I've learned how to control how the images will look on the surface of a cube (the test I've did in some reflection scene where I had to place the face of a hedgehog on a side of the cube so that it doesn't look stretched out).

I forget a lot of things too, once I stumble upon something cool and use it and then few days later I'm asking: "Where was that thing again?" such as the hotkey editor and the render environment, I needed to be reminded where those were.

I wonder which one will be the hardest. Maybe modeling, cause it seems like models need to be made so that certain things will work well with it. (rigging, deformation, textures, hair, clothes...). So maybe I'll just dedicate more time to modeling since it seems to be the hardest. But I still do random experiments every now and then with non-related stuff. Such as the domino experiment. Worked when done with normal cubes, failed when I finally made the dominoes look realistic.

# 78 29-11-2011 , 10:56 PM
EduSciVis-er
There's a Find Menu search option in the help menu. It's useful if you can remember at least one word in the tool... e.g. search *extrude*

# 79 29-11-2011 , 11:02 PM
Noober than noob

There's a Find Menu search option in the help menu. It's useful if you can remember at least one word in the tool... e.g. search *extrude*

Thank you, that's very useful.

# 80 30-11-2011 , 01:11 PM
Noober than noob
-.- I can't resist going for side projects...
So I'll be adding the whole solar system there. O.o
(From what I've heard, the sun's actually white if seen from outer space, but not 100% sure of this).

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.
# 81 30-11-2011 , 05:11 PM

hmmm

The notion that the sun is going to be completely white bright is gonna be a little off. The most micro of examples I can give is that of never using a absolute white light in your scenes. It just doesn't exist in nature. So whether you are mimicing a household lamp or the sun you are going to want to tweak the curves a little. The problem lies in that the sun will only appear to be that way after it is close to death and considered a white dwarf and compression takes hold prior to it exploding which greatens the intensity of the light due to the severe effects of gravity. Our sun will never be a black hole like other suns due to the mass not being great enough and therefore will only produce fusion based reactions unlike supernovas which create fission based reactions to gives us more complex elements like (gold, silver, and platinum). When the sun creates light it is simply through the fusion of two hydrogen atoms, or numerous ones up the periodic chain until iron is produced. You know helium, carbon, yada yada yada. So in essence the sun is just a nuclear weapon, but much bigger. You will always have expansion and decay. More than anything I believe that the "maps" on Earth and the atmosphere shell you have to put over it are what sell these shots. Also the environment needs to be riddled with cosmic dust and particles. Gotta love yourself a good lens flare to boot as well...

best

Collin Bishop

Last edited by Chavfister; 30-11-2011 at 06:14 PM.
# 82 30-11-2011 , 07:13 PM
Noober than noob

The notion that the sun is going to be completely white bright is gonna be a little off. The most micro of examples I can give is that of never using a absolute white light in your scenes. It just doesn't exist in nature. So whether you are mimicing a household lamp or the sun you are going to want to tweak the curves a little. The problem lies in that the sun will only appear to be that way after it is close to death and considered a white dwarf and compression takes hold prior to it exploding which greatens the intensity of the light due to the severe effects of gravity. Our sun will never be a black hole like other suns due to the mass not being great enough and therefore will only produce fusion based reactions unlike supernovas which create fission based reactions to gives us more complex elements like (gold, silver, and platinum). When the sun creates light it is simply through the fusion of two hydrogen atoms, or numerous ones up the periodic chain until iron is produced. You know helium, carbon, yada yada yada. So in essence the sun is just a nuclear weapon, but much bigger. You will always have expansion and decay. More than anything I believe that the "maps" on Earth and the atmosphere shell you have to put over it are what sell these shots. Also the environment needs to be riddled with cosmic dust and particles. Gotta love yourself a good lens flare to boot as well...

best

Collin Bishop

It's not even a true light, it's a glow effect. Should I make it yellowish green instead?
Also, is this Earth atmosphere good enough? I didn't like the way the bump maps looked over Earth since the planet will be mostly filmed from the distance anyway. Same with moon and what else I'll add.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.
# 83 30-11-2011 , 07:45 PM
Noober than noob
Now to make the rest of the planets, asteroid belts (going to be a pain...) and all that space trash the humans have left behind. Will add Russell's Teapot too... just for laughs.

Got Venus down so far and its thick atmosphere.
Mercury too.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-11-2011 at 10:12 PM.
# 84 30-11-2011 , 11:56 PM
Noober than noob
Working on Phobos now, had one earlier but didn't save on time and it crashed when I smoothed it. Was more accurate in shape to the real Phobos. Oh well, will be back to that shape in no time though.
And then I'll add it next to Mars.

This is pretty nice since it gets me used to the UV editor.

Done with phobos. Poor little thing lol....
Can't finish Deimos today. Oh well... time to shut down. Good night.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 01-12-2011 at 01:27 AM.
# 85 02-12-2011 , 01:38 AM
Noober than noob
Phobos and Deimos are now orbiting Mars.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 86 03-12-2011 , 09:00 PM
Noober than noob
Finished Jupiter and its 4 inner moons + the faint ring around it. The ring is a torus with glow effect + hide source and some transparency. It also has Ramp texture.
One thing might be a problem though: How to make that shadow of the ring disappear? I don't know if the ring emits a shadow in reality.

Attached Thumbnails
# 87 09-01-2012 , 02:32 PM
Noober than noob
Now I've bounced back to where I left modeling since I've been working on the planets that will be used in the movie.

After comparing methods of how to make an ear, I have decided to do it the way that Miss_Nova suggested. So thanks Jay and Miss_Nova. It works way easier on this model I'm doing than the other tutorial which requires making extra edges for it to work on my mesh.

Currently shaping the start of the ear.

Attached Thumbnails
# 88 30-01-2012 , 11:27 PM
Noober than noob
Here's progress on the ear. Any suggestions? I still have to modify the facets of the ear a bit.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 89 31-01-2012 , 11:09 PM
Need wires on the ear bro... I can say that your AntiHelix is incorrect and should flow with the Helix of the ear. Need to smooth the front of the ear so it blends with the zygomatic and doesn't ridge outward.

Last edited by Chavfister; 31-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
# 90 31-01-2012 , 11:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
And the tragus should be more prominent and be in closer approximation with the anti-tragus. Basically Chavfister is saying to check out some more ear refs... user added image