Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 106 30-04-2012 , 07:25 PM
Noober than noob
How's this?

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 30-04-2012 at 11:20 PM.
# 107 01-05-2012 , 02:32 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi SilverFeather,

Can we see some wireframes? please user added image

# 108 01-05-2012 , 05:04 AM
Technical Director
Hi SilverFeather,

I don't usually lurk around the WIP forum anymore, but just happened across your thread. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but are you using references? A lot of the proportions on your head are off. For example, the eye is too wide, the mouth too thin, there's a weird bump near the check bone, the neck is too thin, the ears are too high, and the lips are very thin. Also, in a human, the eyeball is actually just a little bit larger than the width of the eye socket. Scaling down your eyeball will help that area fall into place nicely. Also, from the angles that you have posted, it looks like he has a massive, jutting, forehead as well. Putting aligned image planes in the background while you work will help your tremendously. While it isn't the most thrilling part of modeling, it will help you out a lot, especially when you're still learning the proportions and anatomy of the face.

If you need some references, take a look at www.3d.sk (warning: nudity), or if you can't afford it, try https://free-textures.got3d.com/natur...ces/index.html

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 109 01-05-2012 , 11:49 AM
Noober than noob

Hi SilverFeather,

I don't usually lurk around the WIP forum anymore, but just happened across your thread. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but are you using references? A lot of the proportions on your head are off. For example, the eye is too wide, the mouth too thin, there's a weird bump near the check bone, the neck is too thin, the ears are too high, and the lips are very thin. Also, in a human, the eyeball is actually just a little bit larger than the width of the eye socket. Scaling down your eyeball will help that area fall into place nicely. Also, from the angles that you have posted, it looks like he has a massive, jutting, forehead as well. Putting aligned image planes in the background while you work will help your tremendously. While it isn't the most thrilling part of modeling, it will help you out a lot, especially when you're still learning the proportions and anatomy of the face.

If you need some references, take a look at www.3d.sk (warning: nudity), or if you can't afford it, try https://free-textures.got3d.com/natur...ces/index.html

I am trying to make a somewhat cartoonish character so wasn't following an exact reference, for the ear I did follow until I decided to go on my own again as I didn't like the result.
I have to work on the head anyway, but for now was concentrating on the ear.
Thank you for the tips on the eyes, I was thinking of working on them next and then the nose due to it being too odd, then the lips.
The neck will be last thing I'll think of, as I still have a lot to work on the face / head shape.
Also need to fix that area near the corners of the mouth, I don't like how it shows.

Posted wireframe but in HQ mode, should I post in normal mode too?

Thank you for the links.

EDIT: Lol, this dude looks pretty close to what I had in mind for the char to look like... Minus the beard and mustache. X))
https://free-textures.got3d.com/natur...e-Man-6b1.html

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 01-05-2012 at 12:28 PM.
# 110 01-05-2012 , 05:50 PM
Subscriber
the ear itself looks ok bu the positioning is off or possibly the overall size. The top of the ear hits around your eyebrow while the bottom should line up with the tip of your nose. Also it seems you have a 3 sided poly at the edge of the mouth there.

# 111 01-05-2012 , 07:29 PM
Noober than noob

the ear itself looks ok bu the positioning is off or possibly the overall size. The top of the ear hits around your eyebrow while the bottom should line up with the tip of your nose. Also it seems you have a 3 sided poly at the edge of the mouth there.

Seems, but it's all quads. I used the Cleanup tool and it says everything's a quad. Even the ear, despite the mess that seems to be in there, is composed of quads.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 112 01-05-2012 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
cool the positioning still looks off though for the ear.

# 113 01-05-2012 , 07:46 PM
Noober than noob

cool the positioning still looks off though for the ear.

I am trying to fix the ear positioning now. But after looking at that model from the references, it seems like my char has a too long nose or something... And I still need to make the eyes smaller + fix the neck shape.

EDIT: Made the eyes smaller now. But will have to deal with the nose too.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 01-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
# 114 01-05-2012 , 08:57 PM
Great community
hi silver, maybe you could try to do it this way...

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 115 01-05-2012 , 09:13 PM
Hi Silver,
I just wanted to point out that the guy in the reference photo you are using looks to be leaning his head forward a bit, you can tell by the slight crease on the front of his neck where the skin is bunching together, that's why his ear appears to be so high, if he was at a normal position his ear would probably be in nearly the same position as everyone elses, the top in line with the eyebrows and the bottom somewhere around the area of the base of the nose.
It really does help to study anatomy at least a little, that way you learn to spot when photos are good to use for reference or not.
Hope that has helped a bit, good luck!

*Edit*
Just to illustrate the angle I did a quick draw over. You can see using this method how his head is leaning.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dango77; 01-05-2012 at 09:21 PM.
# 116 01-05-2012 , 09:38 PM
Great community
here you go mate, hope it helps

Attached Thumbnails

May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow.
# 117 01-05-2012 , 09:44 PM
Noober than noob

hi silver, maybe you could try to do it this way...

Yes, that was the plan. To shrink the nose a bit, but can't figure out if I'd need to raise the mouth too, or just raise the nose.

I'm also considering making the eyelids thicker and the nostrills' insides thicker as well. Then I'll handle the forehead.

here you go mate, hope it helps

Thank you.
I thought he was a bit leaned but didn't know for sure.

Still, I think my char's nose is too long, so will have to shorten it and I guess raise the mouth too.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 01-05-2012 at 09:47 PM.
# 118 10-06-2012 , 09:03 PM
Noober than noob
This is where it got so far. Shortened the nose, made the cheeks more prominent, don't know if I need another loop around the mouth, someone said I need to give the lips more depth. How could that be done?

And another problem:
When mirroring, why does it suddenly form Trigons around the eyes when they are quads in the first place? And why do vertices get shared this way at the axis where the mirror begins?

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 119 10-06-2012 , 10:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
When you mirror, it looks for vertices close together and merges them. Decrease the tolerance to prevent them collapsing.

# 120 10-06-2012 , 10:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Personally I dont use mirror, I just dupe and flip in negative X y or Z scale, combine then merge verts...its a few steps more but less hassle in the long run.

Mirror has always been pretty crap to use.

TO GET THINGS TO LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD, IE: MORE DEPTH AND SO ON - USE REFERENCE. You cant cheat anything like this as people will just pick away.

Lips need at least one more loop on them and also around the outside of the mouth. I suggest you look at reference of lips, A mouth is not flat across the face it curves around it and also the corners are recessed, again look at references.

I think the proportions need work regardless of whether its a cartoon or otherwise, the model looks very lumpy too so I'd smooth out those areas around the cheeks

EDIT: LOOK IN THE TOPOLGY THREAD FOR EXAMPLES OF LOOP LAYOUT.

Jay