Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 121 10-06-2012 , 10:32 PM
Noober than noob

Personally I dont use mirror, I just dupe and flip in negative X y or Z scale, combine then merge verts...its a few steps more but less hassle in the long run.

Mirror has always been pretty crap to use.

TO GET THINGS TO LOOK LIKE THEY SHOULD, IE: MORE DEPTH AND SO ON - USE REFERENCE. You cant cheat anything like this as people will just pick away.

Lips need at least one more loop on them and also around the outside of the mouth. I suggest you look at reference of lips, A mouth is not flat across the face it curves around it and also the corners are recessed, again look at references.

I think the proportions need work regardless of whether its a cartoon or otherwise, the model looks very lumpy too so I'd smooth out those areas around the cheeks

EDIT: LOOK IN THE TOPOLGY THREAD FOR EXAMPLES OF LOOP LAYOUT.

Jay

That's where I looked before but can't figure out what to do here, not only that it doesn't say which is X and Y, but they're not marked and are all 0 except scale. Which one do I have to modify?

I do have references. The problem is I can't figure out how to fix my current wiring.
I've noticed that no matter what I do, it just goes lumpy, mainly because my standard view shows it's a mess and I cannot figure out how to fix it without having the HQ mode look odd.

The mouth's going to be pretty much a challenge to fix, as it currently looks pretty bad and the corners of it I just can't figure out what I did wrong there. Thing is that I can't insert another edge loop without the lips ending up looking flat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 122 11-06-2012 , 12:17 AM
Technical Director
The edge loops are the least of your problems; the overall form is incorrect. The reference you have chosen isn't particularly good, as the person's head is looking down, as well as to the side. One of the most important reference images to get is a 3/4 view; as that will help you with the form.

If you're serious about this, get a subscription to www.3d.sk ; you won't regret it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 123 11-06-2012 , 08:36 AM
Noober than noob

The edge loops are the least of your problems; the overall form is incorrect. The reference you have chosen isn't particularly good, as the person's head is looking down, as well as to the side. One of the most important reference images to get is a 3/4 view; as that will help you with the form.

If you're serious about this, get a subscription to www.3d.sk ; you won't regret it.

I'll have to keep searching then, as I just can't figure out where to find something that will work.

I guess I'm not serious since I can't afford anything, I'm a hobbyist. Otherwise I probably would have gotten everything I'd need by now.
Are these references any good?
https://free-textures.got3d.com/natur...n-1/index.html

# 124 11-06-2012 , 08:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahhh I can feel a massive face palm about to happen

If the edge loops were correct you would achieve correct form Duh!! user added image

Left to Right = X, Y and Z

Just because you cant afford it doesnt mnean you arent serious....just do a google search. If anything I would say you are pretty negative in you outlook as if you want it done automatically or for you, you gotta work at it to improve.

Dont constantly model with smooth preview on, just model with it off, just keep pulling those verts around until they are tidy.

Inseting an edge loop will do things certain things to the geo, you have to go in and shape it, it doesnt do it for you

Jay

# 125 11-06-2012 , 12:45 PM
Noober than noob

Ahhh I can feel a massive face palm about to happen

If the edge loops were correct you would achieve correct form Duh!! user added image

Left to Right = X, Y and Z

Just because you cant afford it doesnt mnean you arent serious....just do a google search. If anything I would say you are pretty negative in you outlook as if you want it done automatically or for you, you gotta work at it to improve.

Dont constantly model with smooth preview on, just model with it off, just keep pulling those verts around until they are tidy.

Inseting an edge loop will do things certain things to the geo, you have to go in and shape it, it doesnt do it for you

Jay

I don't want it automatically done for me, otherwise I would have downloaded an already made model.
I just don't want to repeat the same error I did before when I had to start over again. Because it's like working on something and then being told that there was no way I could have saved my work. It's kind of like a fear of mine.

I don't model with smooth on, I switch between modes to see how the stuff ends up looking and when I see something's not right, I go back to first mode and modify again.
Thank you, I will try to make the loops that way, but all I want to know is: Can I fix it or did I do something to mess it up so badly that it cannot be saved?

# 126 11-06-2012 , 01:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Delete the pole at the nose bridege...dont be scared of deleting loops or parts there of
in fact if it were me I would delete the nose mostly...delete some of the vertical loops in the chin/mouth and reposition the verts as Jay said. I know organics nil...BUT as I am following Jays Ramsey...less is better and form is more.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 127 11-06-2012 , 01:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Oh and BTW...the split poly tool can save just about any model....

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 128 11-06-2012 , 01:39 PM
Noober than noob

Delete the pole at the nose bridege...dont be scared of deleting loops or parts there of
in fact if it were me I would delete the nose mostly...delete some of the vertical loops in the chin/mouth and reposition the verts as Jay said. I know organics nil...BUT as I am following Jays Ramsey...less is better and form is more.

cheers bullet

If I'd delete the nose, how will I reconstruct it? (I can't seem to be able to extrude edges for whatever reason, yet I've seen people doing that). Or should I have to make it separately and then connect it?

I could delete loops easily if needed, I just need to come up with a plan of what to do (and make a backup in case I mess stuff up even more).

EDIT: Isn't split poly that tool that Maya 2012 doesn't have but was replaced with Interactive split?

This is what it currently looks like. I don't really know if I should start with the nose, or just fix the cheeks / mouth area and the head top loops first.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 11-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
# 129 11-06-2012 , 02:34 PM
Technical Director
I think you should take a step back from the model, and just look at the form. Take a screen shot of it, bring it into Photoshop, and mark it with lines until you're happy with the shape. Look at references while you're doing it. I think you're just moving vertices for the sake of moving vertices. You need to have a goal, otherwise you'll just keep moving them around ad infinitum.

Another method that some people use, is to download a model of a skull, and place it into the scene, then model around it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 130 11-06-2012 , 02:57 PM
Noober than noob

I think you should take a step back from the model, and just look at the form. Take a screen shot of it, bring it into Photoshop, and mark it with lines until you're happy with the shape. Look at references while you're doing it. I think you're just moving vertices for the sake of moving vertices. You need to have a goal, otherwise you'll just keep moving them around ad infinitum.

Another method that some people use, is to download a model of a skull, and place it into the scene, then model around it.

I was moving vertices trying to get a shape with less lumps, but now that I know the goal is to place the loops to go in a certain way and also to follow the shape of the reference, I'll do that.

I knew someone who was using the skull for reference method, but I never got the chance to ask her how she did the facial features afterwards since I didn't see her using references for that.