Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-01-2005 , 11:28 PM

Can I convert Maya 4 and Maya 6 project to Maya 5????????

I've got Maya 6 at home and I've been working on a project. But my college has Maya 5 and I need to work at college now.

I also have projects in Maya 4 as well, and I need to convert them to Maya 5 as well.

Any ideas???

# 2 02-01-2005 , 11:50 PM
Technical Director
4-5 just import it into 5.

For 6-5 you have to open up the file in note pad. look at the top:
it should say: requires maya "6.0";
or something else like that. the one with // in front of it you dont have to worry about. change the 6.0 to 5.0 so it would be:

requires maya "5.0";

You might lose some data. hardly anything noticable.

have fun!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 03-01-2005 , 12:51 AM

tried opening it in notepad.....

like you suggested, but notepad only recognises text files and Maya is a Maya Binary File.

When I opened it in notepad I just got a whole page full of unintelligeable symbols with alot of squares mixed with letters.

Also, if I did manage to change it like you suggested, how would I save it as a Maya file, as notepad only saves as .txt files.

Any help is much appreciated!!

# 4 03-01-2005 , 12:54 AM
Technical Director
Even with a .mb I think you can still do it.

As for saving as a maya file, just in the name put a .mb or .ma insted of the .txt

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 03-01-2005 , 01:06 AM
In order to edit the files in a text editor, you must save the Maya scene files as .MA files. .MB files cannot be edited in the same manner.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job