Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-11-2012 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber

Open Source Texture Painting / Mudbox Install

Other then blender, is there another open source program that runs in linux that can be used for texture painting, that is good?

I know Mari and Mudbox are avalible for linux and I do have a mudbox licence but the licencing causes issues when installing:

error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
mudbox2012: /opt/Autodesk/Adlm/FLEXnet/bin/FNPLicensingService exists in filesystem
mudbox2012: /opt/Autodesk/Adlm/FLEXnet/bin/install_fnp.sh exists in filesystem
mudbox2012: /opt/Autodesk/Adlm/FLEXnet/bin/toolkitinstall.sh exists in filesystem

This is installing PKGBUILD with pacman -U in arch linux but seems to run ok...

# 2 07-11-2012 , 12:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Try Krita:

https://krita.org/

my friend and work colleague has been involved in its development....its pretty cool, we have already used in film production on linux boxes.

There is a windows version too, but its a little buggy

Jay

# 3 07-11-2012 , 01:37 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the response Jay. I should have been more specific and stated 3d texture painting straight onto the model.

I am aware of Krita, but I have never tried it as I didn't want to install all the KDE dependencies, but I might instal andl have have a play around, but isn't this is only for flat texture painting i.e. onto a 2D canvas. Its nice to know its been used in film production though!

# 4 07-11-2012 , 02:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ahh you want a 3d painter, hehehe I dont think there are any free ones right now.

Yeah this is Photoshop style with Krita.....but the difference is its free!!!

Jay

# 5 07-11-2012 , 04:09 PM
EduSciVis-er
Scuptris is free. I don't know how feature rich it is. Depends on how great your needs are.

# 6 07-11-2012 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
Scuptris is free, but only available for windows unfortunately... I do have a windows install but I rarely use it these days, but I like to keep it just incase I might need it for something.

I guess I will continue to use blender for this then as it seems to work quite well. I will also give Krita a try and maybe it will become a permanent member of my tool set along with mypaint and the very frustrating GIMP user added image

EDIT: Jay, I have a 'quick' question if you have a moment to spare...
How much is linux used in film production, what are its main uses, software and distros used and is it beneficial having knowledge of linux when applying for a job in film/VFX?

Last edited by dustykhan; 07-11-2012 at 05:23 PM.